(a) Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) Constitutes Service on Registered CM/ECF Users. Registration as an ECF user constitutes consent to electronic service under FRCP 5. Receipt of the NEF constitutes service on a registered CM/ECF user who has electronically filed a document in the case. The filer must provide non-registered users with notice of the filing by other means in accordance with the FRBP.
(b) NEF Does Not Constitute Service. Electronic transmission of a NEF does not constitute service or notice of certain initiating documents. A filer must serve by hand-delivery, courier, mail, or email (if the party has consented to email service) the following documents:
(1) Service of a summons and involuntary petition under FRBP 1010;
(2) Service of a summons and complaint under FRBP 7004;
(3) Service of papers that commence a contested matter under FRBP 9014, e.g., a motion for stay relief or objection to claim;
(4) Service of a subpoena under FRBP 9016;
(5) Service of notice of a claim objection required by Local Rule 3007-1(b); and
(6) Where conventional service is otherwise required under the FRCP, FRBP, LRs, or by court order.
Notes 2022: Subsection (b)(5) is amended to include objections to proofs of claim..
|Back to Local Rules list||Previous|